From EUR 24
“The site is of outstanding universal value being of remarkable significance by virtue of the supreme artistry of the mosaic art that the monuments contain, and also because of the crucial evidence that they provide of artistic and religious relationships and contacts at an important period of European cultural history.”
In this way the UNESCO World Heritage motivated why eight monuments of Ravenna had been added to the World Heritage List.
The eternal beauty of the mosaics guarded inside some of the most famous Ravenna Unesco monuments, in a visit that starts from Piazza San Francesco, into the city centre, and leads you to several UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Saturday & Sunday at 2.30 pm
Tourist Info Point
Piazza San Francesco 7, Ravenna
please arrive 10 minutes before the starting time
Indications: the office, located in the historical centre, is near the Dante’s Tomb, about 10 minutes walk from the train station
- Dante's Tomb
- Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo
- Mausoleo di Galla Placidia
- Basilica of San Vitale
Italian & English
- expert local guide
- cumulative entrance ticket to the monuments included in the tour
- whisper radio guides with jack connection for headphones
- due to the limited number of entrances, the order of visit to the monuments may be subject to change
- it is essential to respect the booking time of the tour, as the times of entry to the monuments do not allow exceptions.
Participants are asked to arrive at least 10 minutes before the start of the tour at the indicated meeting point.
If participants are late, participation in the tour is not guaranteed and there will be no refund
- the tour can be booked online or at one of our tourist offices with advance payment
- the tour will be confirmed according to the availability of the entrance fees to the monuments
- in high season it is advisable to book in advance, the seats may run out
-the cancellation policy for this tour is 72h before departure, to be entitled to a full refund. With less than 72h notice no refund will be granted
During this tour, accompanied by an expert guide, you will have the opportunity to visit:
- the Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo: originally used as a Palatine Church of Arianism, today it allows us to reconstruct the evolution of Byzantine wall mosaics from the age of Theodoric to that of Justinian. Inside, the 26 Christological scenes constitute the largest monumental cycle of the New Testament.
- the Mausoleum of Galla Placidia: it was built around the middle of the 5th century, at the behest of Galla Placidia, who ruled the Western Roman Empire. This small mausoleum in the shape of a Latin cross, externally is very simple, while inside it presents a rich mosaic decoration. The innumerable stars of the dome have struck the imagination and sensitivity of visitors over the centuries, and of outstanding personalities such as the great poet Dante Alighieri, who drew inspiration from them for the writing of some verses of the Divine Comedy.
- the Basilica of San Vitale: one of the most important monuments of early Christian art in Italy. The monument dates back to the 6th century, of clear oriental influence, has an octagonal plan, surmounted by a large frescoed dome. When you enter the basilica, your gaze is captured by the high spaces, the wonderful mosaic decorations of the apse and the extraordinary representation of the imperial couple of Byzantium: Justinian and Theodora, with their procession.